Sunday, November 21, 2010

Café Hamra on a Sunday Morning


One of the most beautiful places in Hamra is a new place called Café Hamra. I just love this place because it’s a perfect blend of the Hamra spirit…Bob Marley and Samira Toufik, whose songs speak of coffee, are tagged on the coffee menu billboards. “I Love HAMRA” and other Arabic soft clichés are stamped on the red walls in Arabic and English. These walls are beautiful because they have cool shelves with books and because they are red (Hamra). Different pictures of the Rahbani’s and old Hamra Street are framed and hung on the walls. Those walls…remind me of  “The Twilight Saga” theme colors. Silver, Black, and Red disperse in White… “Sunset” is the drink I’m having. It’s labeled as a specialty on the menu. It is strawberry, passion fruit, and banana mixed with crushed ice, just like irony itself. Its taste is sweet though. Books are everywhere; on the console to my right, on the private table to my left, and on their shelves…I’m going through my off-campus PhD papers to Calgary and thinking of Waleed Hourani’s piano concert tomorrow. Today is such a good day because being in a place you love and doing the things you like is essential for independence. Tomorrow. Tomorrow is Independence Day and it’s gonna be a good night; being there in the Assembly Hall, living the classics that this amazing Lebanese yet international pianist would like the Assembly Hall walls to roar with on the night of Novermber 22, 2010, celebrating independence.   

No comments:

Post a Comment