Sunday, January 2, 2011

Kamallure


When I was still sharing my room with my elder brother, it was exciting for me to see him reading before he tucks himself completely into a deep sleep. I used to watch his hunger for knowledge and imitate him in the morning of the day after with books on philosophy and political science that I did not understand back then. But, what mattered is that I tried…I used to think that looking at the alphabets in those “big” books would, someday and in some way, help me know what the words meant. I so believed in it. (I still do.)
In our common bedroom and on the closet door was a black and white picture of the great Kamal Jumblatt. I used to look at it eventually (because it was right in front of my eyes) and wonder why the picture was fundamentally there.  When he moved out and after I got my new bedroom, the picture was still there; only larger this time. In fact, it is a picture of humility but one that has its allure. It was captivating! (It still is.)
My Allure of Chanel was my favorite perfume at the time. It had a deep feminine impact yet kept the strong essence (being royalty; or simply Chanel). It allured me for quite a long time, but I couldn’t keep buying it consistently. Today when I spotted it, it was standing out among all the other perfumes in the perfumery. In fact, it was so outstanding that I bought it on the spot.
What does the perfume share with the picture? What dots connect such opposites? An allure, maybe…but each in its own way. In fact, both are royalty; one for the body and the other for the mind and soul.  Only now do I understand why both have been there and continued to be… To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment